Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho said the district is getting ready for a “potential influx of child and adult learners” after Castro’s death.
“We are ready to work with state and federal entities to secure the appropriate and necessary support to deliver educational services to all who, in light of today’s development, may arrive in our community,” Carvalho said in a statement Saturday. “Just as we did during the 1980 Mariel Boatlift and the 1994 Cuban rafter exodus, this school district will continue its long-standing history of opening our arms to welcome, embrace, and educate all students.”
It’s unclear how Castro’s death will impact emigration from the island.
Experts say several factors are fueling a spike in the number of Cubans who brave dangerous journeys by land and by sea. Chief among them: fear that US policies that put Cubans on a fast track to legal residency could be repealed as relations between the two countries improve.
Could that happen? It’s possible, but the reason might have more to do with who’s in the White House then who’s at the helm in Cuba.
Miami has been the epicenter of the Cuban exile community for decades.
More than 260,000 Cubans left in a US-organized airlift between 1965 and 1973. In 1980, Castro let another 125,000 leave in the chaotic Mariel boatlift. At other times, desperate Cubans fled the island nation in makeshift boats across the treacherous Straits of Florida. Thousands died from drowning or exposure to the brutal Caribbean sun.
The trek remains dangerous, according to the US Coast Guard, and so far this year, thousands of people have made it.